Assertiveness is the extent that someone voices their opinions forcefully and is comfortable being the center of attention and giving direction to other employees. It is the degree to which someone is influential, persuasive, and self-confident.
In terms of workplace behavior, Assertiveness is the disposition/likelihood for:
- Making decisions and directing other’s actions when needed.
- Motivating and managing workgroups towards goal attainment.
- Using persuasive tactics to sway the thinking and behavior of people who initially disagree.
- Looking for and taking advantage of opportunities at work.
- Expressing their own beliefs and opinions even if they are likely to be disagreeable.